Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Why

The setting: a post-apocalyptic future.

For too long now we have been looking at the past for answers, hanging, draping, stitching spectres onto our bodies. I declare death to romantic pastiche and hello to future kitsch. It’s time to revisit the future, a future in which remnants of the past (our present) are reinterpreted, in which the meanings of archeological objects have been lost and re-invented anew and not merely copied and collaged.

I have always been interested in the future, fascinated by the looks created by Rabanne, Courrèges and Cardin during the Space Age. I want to imagine the future, to open doors into the life ahead, and not the life that is past.


The muse: a transformative force to be reckoned with.


It is time. My muse was born to be a Future Queen but a force inside her pushes her to rebel against the established order, being in conflict with everything she might have stood for, and sidelining with those against the oppressive queens that rule the world. This change cannot be stopped, a metamorphosis that takes over her whole body. “A change is gonna come”. It is time.

I have always been very rebellious and striven to find different ways to the established ones. I like to tread on difficult paths to have different thoughts from those I could have in mainstreamed avenues. I feel more an more people these days are willing to do this, there is a wind of change sweeping through the world right now and I want this to be reflected in my collection.



The lifestyle: nomadic.

Constantly on the move, the clouds, the blistering winds, the scorching heat and all the peoples that inhabit the world. Everyone needs protection from the elements and other hazards. Those who can afford it, wear hyper-designed suits. The rest, have to survive with makeshift costumes created from scraps of worn and torn materials. Objects with meaning become amulets. Sleek plastic objects from a past era are the new jewels and a status symbol. The Queens are heavily adorned with them.

We can often be burdened with possessions and needs. I have found myself in a circumstance where I have to live with less. This is something that is the case for so many people now, in the current economic climate. Also, Neo Nomads are on the increase, people who are always on the go, connected to their work and networks through technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment